WHO IS HUNGRY
River Bend Food Bank is the largest hunger-relief organization in eastern Iowa and western Illinois, distributing over 20 MILLION meals every year to people struggling with hunger. Our mission is leading the community-wide effort to end hunger in Iowa and Illinois. We do this through food distribution in partnership with our network of more than 300 hunger-relief agency partners and programs.
In our 23-county service area:
- 159,848 people are food insecure—they don’t know where their next meal is coming from.
- 19,535,900 meals are being missed, not by choice.
- 1 in 6 adults are missing meals, not by choice.
- 1 in 4 children (55,575) are missing meals, not by choice.
- 63% of these people are choosing between medical care and food.
- 62% of these people are choosing between housing and food.
- 81% of these people choose the cheapest food available regardless of its nutritional value.
- 40% of these people water down their food to stretch their food supply.
River Bend Foodbank relies on the generosity of its supporters to help fight hunger in eastern lowa and western Illinois. Each year, over 22 million meals are missed in our service area. Your financial support is essential to bridging the meal gap in our community.
Volunteers are crucial to the operation of River Bend Foodbank. Without volunteers, it would not be possible to collect, sort, and repack all of the food that comes through our warehouse every day as well as distribute food through our various programs. Together we can solve hunger™.
If you or a loved one is hungry, please let us help you. Use our website to locate a food pantry or meal site in your area.